M1 Visa Non-Academic or Vocational Studies

M1 visa is a non-immigrant student visa for individuals. Students who want to pursue a full course of study at a non-academic institution or vocational school in the US. To qualify for an M-1 visa, applicants must be accepted by a vocational institution. Such vocational institution must have approved by the United States Citizenship & Immigration Services (USCIS).

M1 Visa Process

Applicants must be sufficiently fluent in English, have sufficient funds, have a permanent residence in their home country. The applicants must intend to leave the US upon completion of the course of study. M1 students may stay in the US for a fixed time period. But may not stay more than one year unless they are granted an extension for medical reasons.

M-1 visa holders may stay for the length of their training program and optional practical training plus a 30-day grace period at the end of their training. Applicants must present a signed I-20 form at a US embassy or consulate in their home country, issued by a designated school official. M1 student visa holders are not allowed to work on or off campus during the course of their studies.

USA Student Visa Overview